Do you have a stressful or hectic life? Do you find yourself with constant back pain, neck pain, and other aches and pains that just won’t go away? If so, shiatsu massage may be the answer for you. What is this type of massage therapy? Shiatsu literally translates to “finger pressure” in Japanese. It uses deep finger pressure to release tension in your muscles. Read on to learn more about this type of massage therapy!
What Can I Expect from Shiatsu Massage?
Your massage therapist will utilize various techniques during a shitatsu massage, including gentle stretching, pressing with palms, thumbs, fingers, elbows, and knees. Kneading techniques may also be used and joint mobilization and stretching is an integral part of most treatments. Shiatsu treatments focus on restoring balance by working on the meridians (energy pathways) and specific points along the meridian. Shiatsu massage focuses on precise finger placement on specific pressure points within the body. These points line up with the same energy channels in the body that are used in acupuncture. Some specific conditions helped by shiatsu massage include chronic muscle tension, low back pain, neck pain and musculoskeletal pains due to chronic tension.
What is the Difference Between Shiatsu Massage and Traditional Massage Therapy?
Clothing – The first difference is the amount of clothing. Except for chair and head massage where the client is fully clothed, most therapeutic massages are performed on an individual who is either partially or completely undressed. For a shiatsu massage session, you typically wear loose, comfortable clothing.
Lubricants – The next is in use of lubricants. A massage therapist uses creams, lotions, or oils to facilitate strokes and protect the skin from friction; a shiatsu massage therapist does not. Clothing is the protector as compression and range of motion stretches are performed.
Focus – Next is the area of focus. Massage therapy works primarily with the muscles; shiatsu focuses on the joints and fascia (connective tissue).
Location – Fourth, while massage therapy is most often performed with the client lying on a massage table, a shiatsu session is typically done on the floor, with the client lying on a comfortable mat or other padded surface.
Benefits of Shiatsu Massage
Shiatsu massage offers a number of benefits. Here are just some of the many benefits of a shiatsu massage:
- Fatigue – Shiatsu massage is excellent for restoring energy and relieving fatigue that builds up from a busy day
- Headaches – Shiatsu can alleviate headaches by applying pressure to the points on your head that are related to headaches
- Insomnia – Shiatsu massage can help you get a good night’s sleep by relieving stress and tension
- Musculoskeletal pain – Shiatsu is great for relieving aches and pains that are caused by stress or tension in the muscles
- Stress – Shiatsu massage has been shown to lower cortisol, the stress hormone
- Back pain or Sciatica – Shiatsu can be very effective for low back pain and sciatica, which are often caused by stress or tension
- Arthritis – Shiatsu works well for people with arthritis because it helps to increase lymphatic flow, which can help relieve pain
- Premenstrual Syndrome – Shiatsu can help relieve PMS by relieving stress and tension
- Digestive disorders – Shiatsu can help to improve digestion and relieve symptoms of indigestion, constipation, bloating and diarrhea.
Book a Shiatsu Massage with Qi Massage & Natural Healing Spa
If you are interested in learning more about Shiatsu massage or if you would like to schedule an appointment, please contact Qi Massage & Natural Healing Spa today. We proudly serve the local area including Winston-Salem and surrounding cities.